Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Frieder Weiss: Algorithm Conductor

Picture from Glow by Chunky Move


In my research of the Recoil Performance Group, I found that their Body Navigation performance was inspired and received technical guidance from Berlin based computer engineer and musician Frieder Weiss. Weiss's work is amazing and very much in line with my own interests. I am only just beginning to discover his work, but I can tell already that he will be a guide and inspiration for my own work as I prepare for graduate school.

In an article at theage.com.eu he is described as a "algorithm conductor" and a creator of 'intelegent stage' environments. A similar concept to the 'interactive environments' that I have been describing in my own work.

Weiss has produced a number of works including his recent line up of Mordake, Glow, Wishing Well and Mortal Engine.

Glow and Mortal Engine were created in collaboration between Weiss and Gideon Orbazanek of Chunky Move. These pieces, and Wishing Well to an extent, are dance based, however I am very intrigued by his work Mordake. Weiss describes the work as "...a multi-disciplinary work that fuses opera, multi-media computer technology, poetry and electronic music." This work is more in line with my own in terms of content, and form. A well written review of the piece can be found here.

Weiss is also apparently the developer of EyeCon an advanced video motion sensing software and hardware product compatible with Processing and Isadora through OSC.

No comments: