Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Isadora: Four Column Video Analizer

Video Capture of the Patch

The Video Analyzer

Application of the Sensor Data
(The analyzer is inserted here as a user actor.)

I am currently trying to wrap my head around the possibilities presented by software/hardware tools such as Isadora and the EyesWeb Open Platform. I am specifically interested in finding practical methods of integrating this technology into realized performances. At the moment I am studying methods to use a basic camera as a sensor and develop a number of interactive environments that in turn can be used as a improvisational resource in the production of a performance.

To this end I wrote/drew the above Isadora patch this morning. The patch splits a camera input into four columns, each of which is separately analyzed for movement. I am currently trying to envision methods in which this type of sensor input can be used in conjunction with a video projector to create a reactive light environment that would be appropriate for a small black box theatre space.

My plan is to next use this basic patch in conjunction with a video projector casting light in the same space as the movement that is being sensed. As the patch is currently set to detect movement I am anticipating the need for some creativity in dealing with the potential feedback this setup will produce.

No comments: