Monday, February 09, 2009

The Survivor's Way


This is a rendering of the stage and basic technology behind a detailed project proposal I have just completed and which I hope may represent the first steps towards my next work. You can find a copy of the proposal in PDF form, as well as two virtual tour's of the technology designs that I am hoping to implement here: tinyurl.com/oliszewski

For anyone following this blog you'll notice that the technology in this work is directly inspired by my research into the work of Frieder Wiess and Mark Conigilio. The content of the work however is very personal in nature.

I am including as the primary resources for the content of the work a number of audio recordings, journals, and other media resources which come down to me from my grandfather and father. I am trying in this piece to bring the personal aspects of the work onto the surface. While my previous works have worked on the themes of violence and family, I have up until now used fantastical metaphors and analogies to deal with the content. Where the real life characters that inspired the work were transformed into fairy-tail characters and set in magical worlds.

I believe that this has allowed me to keep a distance from the personal emotions that come up when dealing with what can be painful memories and experiences. While I am sure that I will need to be careful in taking care of myself through the process of developing this work, I do believe that I am ready as an artist and mature enough as an individual to directly work with this rich fabric of stories handed down to me.

I am completely open to feedback that this proposal may illicit. I invite you, the reader of these words, to ask me any questions or provide any insight that you may have upon reviewing this proposal.

3 comments:

Katie H said...

Sounds very interesting. I have no idea of the people you're researching, but look forward to learning more about them. This is the same sort of trip I am embarking on, but without the shield of a fantasy land - I am starting research on a doc about my grandfather and the effect that his personality and history had on every generation since. It is both a balance in how you uncover the stories, what ones to tell, and how you tell them, but primarily, working with the people still here. How do I ask, tactfully, for both the best and the worst memories of a person who has colored three generations? How do I distance myself, and how do I, to put it in doctor's terms, "do no harm"?

Katie H-dahl

Alex Oliszewski said...

Hi Kate,

I am looking forward to learning more about my father 'Mack and grandfather 'Oli; as well.

In my past work, with "Penumbra" and "Oblivion", I very much used fantasy settings and characters to mask the roots of my content. In "Penumbra" the fairies and the Queen's imposed wing cutting ceremony was a device for working with the issues around circumcision and religious dogma.

In "The Survivor's Way" I do not want to obscure the content by abstracting it into a fantasy, like my previous work. I totally agree that in doing this work requires scruples. Especially when working directly with people. For the most part I am dealing only with my memories and the memorabilia left by my subjects, as they have both passed on.

The questions of distance, and of tact are important. I'm not sure if your asking my thoughts on this or if not, but were I to try and answer the questions you have put here I might say that I am not sure how to tactfully ask for the best and the worst of a persons memories. Because of this I would approach the conversation with a rolling appreciation for the subject's interests. That is, I would start with asking about those things that I know my subject is interested in, and from that, work back to try and understand why. The best and the worst follows us all through our lives. I may cover this and that up, but behind my over exuberant love of bubbles lies a history of emotion and experience. Perhaps it is less a discovery of the good and the bad, but more a exploration of meaning and context.

Good luck with your documentary! I hope you'll share your progress with me. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated with the state of my this project as well.

-A

JaFish said...

Wow, this is a really impressive proposal! I can't wait to see how the story takes shape.